CULPEPER AMATEUR RADIO ASSOCIATION
February 14, 1977 as Amended April 20, 1992, as Amended Dec 16, 2003
Wishing to secure the pleasures and benefits of the Association of persons interested in Amateur Radio and to advance the general interest and welfare of Amateur Radio, we constitute ourselves the:
“Culpeper Amateur Radio Association”
All persons interested in Amateur Radio may apply for membership, subject to such terms as the By-Laws provide.
The officers of the Association shall be the President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and three (3) Directors, one of whom shall be the immediate past President.
Annual election of officers and directors shall be in accordance with the By-Laws.
The President shall preside at all meetings. The President shall enforce due observance of this Constitution and By-Laws and perform all other duties of this office.
The Vice President shall assume all duties of the President, in the absence of the President. The Vice President shall be an Ex Officio member of all standing committees.
The Vice President shall be responsible for all regular meeting programs.
The Secretary shall record proceedings of all regular and special meetings of the Association. The Secretary shall keep a current roll of all members, submit all applications for membership, carry on correspondence, read all communications at directors meetings, Association meetings, and notify all members of record of any impending meetings.
A. The Treasurer shall receive and disperse all monies of the Association and shall maintain an accurate account of all monetary transactions. The Treasurer shall be subject to periodic audit as the Executive Committee may direct. An audit shall be conducted during any change of the Treasurer. The Treasurer shall give a status report of the Association at regular meetings. The Treasurer shall sign as “maker” of all checks issued in the name of the Association.
B. The President shall be allowed to approve any Association expense in the amount of $50.00 or less without prior approval of the membership. Any expense over $50.00 must be approved by the membership at a regular meeting.
C. If the Treasurer is unavailable, the President may be authorized to draw a check against the Association’s checking account if approved by the Executive Committee.
The directors of the Association shall be elected to serve a two year term. The past President shall server as a one year Director. If the past President is unable to serve in this capacity, the Executive Committee shall appoint someone to serve in his place.
The officers and directors shall constitute the Executive Committee. This committee is responsible for seeing that the policies of this Association are maintained. This committee shall have the power to appoint a regular member to fill any unexpired term for any office of this Association.
The By-Laws shall provide for regular and special meetings.
At all meetings one third (1/3) of regular membership shall constitute a quorum.
”Robert’s Rules of Order” shall govern proceedings at Association meetings unless they are in conflict with our present constitution or By-Laws.
Proposed amendments to this constitution and/or By-Laws must be submitted in writing and read at the next regularly scheduled meeting. Consideration of the amendment(s) or action on it must be taken at the next regular meeting. The Secretary shall provide a copy of the current section and a copy of the proposed changes to each member at least 15 days prior to the next regular meeting when action will be taken.
A two thirds (2/3) majority vote of regular members is required to make any changes in the Constitution or By-Laws.
- Regular members must hold a valid Amateur Radio Operators License and shall have paid all current dues.
- Associate members must express an interest in amateur radio and must be sponsored for membership by a regular member in good standing.
- Applications for membership shall be considered by the membership committee. The committee’s recommendation shall be submitted at the next regular meeting for approval.
- Only regular members may vote or hold elective office, but all Association benefits, duties, and privileges are open to all Association members.
- To accommodate affiliation with the American Radio Relay League (ARRL), at least 51% of the regular membership must hold membership with ARRL.
- Regular meetings should be held on the third (3rd) Monday of each month. Special meetings may be called by the President or by the Executive Committee. The Secretary or President will notify the Association members of the special meeting.
Dues as set forth by the Executive Committee must be approved by the Association membership. Membership dues shall be payable on or before December 31 of the current calendar year. Each new applicant shall pay pro-rated dues based on date of approval for membership. All applicants under 16 years of age, enrolled in school, shall not have to pay dues their first calendar year of membership. Dues for subsequent years shall be 50% until age 16, at which time they must pay full dues subject to the By-Laws.
- A nominating committee of at least three (3) regular members shall be appointed by the President at the September meeting. they shall present tot he membership at the regular meeting in October a slate of candidates to stand for election.
- The elections for officers and directors shall be held at the regular meeting in November. Nominations from the floor will be accepted at this time. A secret ballot may be requested by any regular member.
- A majority vote cast by regular members voting shall constitute election of the nominee.
- If no quorum is present at the November meeting when elections are held, then the present officers and directors shall continue to service until such time as elections can be held at a regularly scheduled meeting.
- One director shall be elected each year to serve for two consecutive years.
- Newly elected officers and directors term of office shall commence January 1st of the year following elections.
- The calendar year shall be the official year of this Association.
- The President shall appoint a regular member, with permission of the appointee, to chair any committee that is necessary to conduct the daily business of this Association. Committee chairmen serve at the pleasure of the President.
- The following shall be standing committees for each year.